Leatherhead Bowling Club welcomes anyone wishing
to play bowls, whether they are a complete beginner or
an experienced player. We
are a friendly club and offer coaching to those who are interested. Please do have a look around this site to see
if bowling might be for you.
Want to find out more?
Leatherhead Bowling Club was founded in 1908 and was initially based on a green of Cumberland turf between Queen Anne’s Terrace and Linden Road where the Conservative Club now stands. By 1925, the club had moved to its present location after Leatherhead Urban District Council (LUDC) created a recreation ground in Fortyfoot Road. LUDC continued to own and control the ground until control passed to its successor Mole Valley District Council (MVDC). MVDC continues to own the land and the property thereon, but the club leases the grounds and buildings and is responsible for on going maintenance. We are very proud of the facilities we have and work hard to care for them. We are privileged to have hosted several Surrey County matches our grounds recently. In 1911 there were 60 members. Since then membership has waxed and waned. The 30’s appear as a high point but in 1964 concern was expressed over level of membership. In 1966 the Leatherhead Ladies Bowling Club was formed to run alongside the men. A high was achieved in 1995 with 145 members and in our centenary year we had 115 members. In 2012, Ladies and Men’s associations merged nationally. We are lucky to already have a Lady President and we regularly have mixed competitions and matches. As the honours board in the clubroom shows, the Club is very active, meeting with other clubs locally, on tour in the UK, Australia and elsewhere, as well as holding its own internal competitions from the casual “roll up” to the more committed cup challenges.
Leatherhead is a very friendly club where new members are warmly
welcomed and given every encouragement to join this fascinating game.
Hot off the press updated 06/09/17